Monaco News Today. Read the latest news, written by regional journalism, watch editorials and International headlines on major online newspapers of Monaco.
THE RIVIERA TIMES – Monaco News Today
The WHO/Europe Small Countries Initiative is a network of 11 European countries with 2 million or less inhabitants: Andorra, Cyprus, Estonia, Iceland, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, San Marino and Slovenia.
The Small countries initiative is a laboratory for innovation. Since its start in 2014, the small country initiative is the place where small countries come together to find solutions to health-related needs and vulnerabilities.
Today the small countries face new challenges – such as the response and recovery from COVID-19.
The objectives of the Initiative are to:
- place health and well-being high on the key political agendas of small countries;
- advocate the needs of small countries at the regional and international levels;
- promote investment for health and well-being, leaving no one behind;
- build a solutions platform for better population health and resilient health systems;
- measure progresses.
This requires even stronger action – under the umbrella of the WHO European Programme of Work:
- to protect people better against health emergencies, such as COVID19
- to strengthen health systems towards achievement of universal health coverage
- to ensure healthy lives and well-being for people of all ages.
The Secretariat is housed at the WHO European Centre for Investment for Health and Development in Venice, Italy.